Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Addicted to my BBM, Social Networking, and being Connected

Saturday January 29, 2011

Good Evening.  I have some sad news... my blackberry literally just committed suicide, and I am unreachable except via email/ facebook/ twitter that I can check on my laptop... but come on now I'm not sitting at home all night in front of my computer screen!? Thoughts are running through my head like what BBMs, texts, missed calls am I getting right now that I will never know about!??? My contacts are not backed up and what if I can't retrieve them?! 

So this is how it all went down... my blackberry is almost always within a few feet from me... yes I am addicted... So I put it on the bathroom counter as I get in the shower.  I'm half way through conditioning when I hear a bang.  I pull open the shower curtain, look down and see my blackberry at the bottom of the toilet. It literally committed suicide!?

I never saw any signs of depression. It got so much love and attention... maybe it was feeling smothered!? I will never know the exact reason of why it jumped from safety on top of my little LV boxes that I use to fill cu-tips etc.. with where it was perched waiting for me to get out of the shower. 

I didn't even have to think about quickly reaching my hand into the toilet to fetch my poor drowning blackberry, pulled it out,  quickly ripped off its case, slid off the back cover, and pulled out the battery to empty the water out, patted it dry with a towel and tried to blow dry away the remaining moisture inside of it.  But to my complete dismay, there was no CPR or shock that could save it.  It is now sitting next to me dismantled, hoping that maybe the SIM card is still alive. 

It's times like these where I realize how dependable I am on technology.  I mean not like I didn't know that I was, but I realize even more how dependent we all are. I was in the middle of multiple BBM convos, I was waiting to get a text back from Tonya if we are eating at DB Bistro or Zuma and at 9 or 10, and I was waiting for Giovanni to call me back to tell me he's on his way home from work.... Not to mention I prefer seeing facebook updates via my blackberry and I like to always keep everyone aware of what I'm doing via facebook or twitter when I'm on the go...

I remember getting my first phone when I was 15 and my first smart phone when I was 23.  I have never lost a phone or killed one.  I have had injuries and malfunctions where they have needed to be replaced but my contact data and calender and memo pads could always be transferred.  Luckily all my pictures I take I immediately upload onto Facebook.  My calender on the other hand has more things in it then you would want to even know - everything I have scheduled in the next year, reminders of to dos, my memo pad has many important notes, such as my 30 before 30 Bucket List. I just want to cry thinking about everything I may have lost.  I will now feel completely uneasy, antsy, anxious, lost until I get my new blackberry tomorrow morning, which will be a torch, in red I think. 

And if I did in fact lose all contacts and my calender, I will struggle to get back as much as I can in the weeks to come.  If you are my friend or family member that is reading this, please be proactive and help me out with an email/ facebook post or message/ or tagged tweet with your phone # and pin if applicable.

Well it is 8pm on Saturday night and it's time to pick myself up, fold this laundry sitting in front of me, dry my hair, pick out a dress for dinner tonight, and try to move on with life.


To all my fellow Blackbery or Iphone Addicts, I'm sure you can understand my pain.

Distraught,
Lauren

2 comments:

  1. can i comment on my own blog!??? just remembered Missy telling me about Google phone as her husband Dave lost his phone the other night and is waiting 2 weeks to get a new one... low and behold I go in there and all my contacts are there!?? i dont know how but im one happy girl!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND PS GOOGLE PHONE IS OFFICIALLY THE COOLEST NEW TECHNO THING! I JUST CALLED GIOVANNI FROM MY LAPTOP AND IT WAS AMAZINGLY CLEAR AND FREE! FEELING A SIGH OF RELIEF AND THINK I WILL POUR MYSELF A GLASS OF WINE AND FINISH GETTING READY

    ReplyDelete