Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 6, 2011

dB Bistro Moderne, Michys in Miami v. Michelle Berstein's in Palm Beach, and a Girl's Superbowl Highlights

Sunday February 6, 2011

dB Bistro Moderne moved in a stone throws away from me in the new JW Marriort Marquis.   Anyone whose eaten at Daniel Boulud's restaurant, Daniel probably, dropped almost a grand per couple.  For those foodies who would prefer not to "break the bank" or at least maybe just a mini bank can enjoy a great meal, in a great atmosphere, with good services (yes I said good service) for about $200 a couple-- the average cost of a good meal in Miami at most swanky places if you are drinking, doing apps, dinner, coffee/ teas, and maybe sharing a desert....  I had the Grouper Aux Epices which was prepared with braised peppers, chick pea panisse, and cilantro.  The famous dB entree is the $32 burger with braised short ribs and foie grass which Mo had, and he attested that it lived up to its reputation. I would definitely go back there for dinner or just even for a drink as the bar area was very nice and spacious- complete with a low bar with comfortable seats at "regular height."

Continuing with good food, Michy's is a hidden gem up on 69th and Biscayne.
 
Despite the obscure location (although not so obscure- since Soyka and the whole group of restaurants and shops there is only 10 blocks away), it is always packed.  I love how you can half your choice of half or full sized appetizers and entrees, and the food is delicious.  On Friday Giovanni and I went there for date night and we shared the ceviche and tuna tartar appetizers along with the Malaysian curry snapper and the short ribs.  Michy's definitely kicked its Palm Beach asses counterpart. My stone crab crudo and Cioppino entree last night was only sub par. The atmosphere was completely different as well.  While Michy's is eclectic and cozy, Michelle B's in Palm Beach in the Omphoy Hotel was much more old world style.

To cap off the weekend, which consisted of Michy's, Girls Spa Day at the Standard, MBs in Palm Beach, a stop in Delray Beach to meet a few of G's cousins who I had never met before and meet up with Andy, spinning, pilates, and regular Sunday things, was Fado.  I watched the first half with 2 other couples at Fado's Irish Pub.  Yes I was at a pub, but don't worry we had a reserved table and it was surprisingly nice for a "pub." While I had my back to the TV for everything but the national anthem and half time, as I was busy drinking wine and talking fashion designers, Pilate's, lingerie, Valentine's Day plans at Casa Tua, etc.... with the girls, I did watch the 2 important parts.  Now Christine Aguilera looked gorgeous and very polished in her conservative black  dress and blazer.
I spotted her Christian Louboutins from the second she came on screen with the gorgeous sparkly silver cap toe.  From the TV they looked black, and I thought they were the original ones I searched for in NY in December but after googling, they were actually red...even more luscious!  The crazy thing is that by surfing the net, I just found out Christina flubbed a line.  She repeated a variation of an earlier line during the anthem. Now I was too transfixed by her voice, her presence, and her shoes to notice this, but apparently its all over the Internet, especially via social networking sites, and I'm sure it will be big news in the AM.  I wonder what the repercussions are? Will she not get paid?  Will she owe the Superbowl money? Will she lose fans? Did she realize she messed up?

For the half time show, I turned my chair around, tweeting a few times during it.

Fergie looked amazing- not tranny or post-meth addict like she often looks.  Her body looked amazing in her space age, rocker chick, flashy get up with the lace up boots, and her face had a soft look to it- a nice change from the normal harshness she portrays.


Her blond hair was on par and overall she really captured a feminine rocker glitzy look.  Every time I hear "I got a Feeling," I think of my wedding when Giovanni and I walked down the stairs to get introduced into our reception.  My fear of tripping down 30 steps erased as my band played the song, sounding just as if Fergie was performing.  Our bridesmaids and groomsmen surprised us with throwing L & G napkins, Miami club style, as we made our way down the stairs.  It is such a high energy, up beat song.  How can you not love it? Besides Fergie looking Fergalicous, her band was cool-weird space age looking as always and all the martians- I mean- back up dancers were so futuristicly awesome.
The Slash showing up was so funny and unsuspecting, yet worked so well with "Sweet Child of Mine."  And Usher is always a great addition to any performance rockin it with "Lets Get it Started." "Where is the Love" complete with L O V E spelled out on the field, segawayed into "The Time (Dirty Big)" and "Time of My Life," which PS totally brings me back to my favorite movie, Dirty Dancing, and yes I am serious...  The BEPs end with "I Gotta a Feeling," which is another song that I think is hard to ever get sick of.  I think overall the performance showed great on TV, and I'm sure the visual effects were just as amazing live.  Apparantly, not everyone liked the perfroamnce as much as I did according to my quick online research... tough audience I suppose or not everyone has good music taste?

As far as Fado, we all left after half time to get some rest before another busy work week begins, and now I'm enjoying the end of my Sunday night in true Sunday night form, in bed with the TV on.

Signing off xoxo,
Lauren

PS- Anyone Else love Eminem for Chrysler ad??
PPS- Girls Spa Day 2011 will now happen every 6 to 8 weeks at different spas.  This Saturday there were 8 of us, and it will be part of an upcoming blog
PPPS- Real Housewives of Miami premiers Feb 22nd! So beyond excited!
PPPPS-I've had my sketchers shape ups for over a year now, and after that Kim Kardashian commercial, I think the rest of America will have them....

No comments:

Post a Comment